Sponsor

2010-09-10

Shocking News: Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater



I was pretty much busy and caught up at work and some family issues this days, but the news that has just revealed to me by Dream Theater management themselves has really shocked me that I had to share this news to all of you guys. I have just found out that Mike Portnoy is leaving Dream Theater!!! yes leaving in means won't be continuing the relationship with the progressive metal act, and that's was pretty much a day or two after I just saw that nothing goes wrong with the band.

This news has really caught me off guard but reading an email saying:
"To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band."
Not to mention also the pretty long goodbye letters written by Mike himself on the official newsletter, it's all so sudden that I haven't really checked how would DT fans reacted with this news. Honestly I don't even know, whether the news has been found out by DT's die hard devotees earlier on as I was very busy this days. Well, anyway for those who doesn't have an access to Mikes' goodbye here is a snippet of that letter he wrote to the fans:

"I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the
band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also
likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it
is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with
for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail,
Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly
come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and
better personal relations with these other projects than I have
for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have
a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep
with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a
little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby
every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7,
365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending
responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...
working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane
people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting
to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in
order to save my relationship with the other members and keep
my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/ tour cycle for almost 20
years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a
break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there
over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly
hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a
"hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from
ourselves".. .

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do
not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me
rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some
occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes,
but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater
without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!),
I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to
sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold
them back against their wishes...."
there's more but I think you can check them out at the official site or something as I don't really want to break any copyscape rules, ^^
Okay seriously reading from Mike's letter I think one can only figured out that there's been one of those "stuck" feeling that the drummer felt during this recent years as there's haven't really been lots of break for the band. With the fact that Mike has also made some appearances with other bands lately, he also felt that there were some different vibes when working with others and pretty much there probably have been some break down in communication lately that led to the drummer's feeling a bit "bored" with his band mates.

Personally I find Mike's reasons were similar to the one when Bon Jovi or Mr. Big split apart few years ago, the thing I don't really find happening with DT as they were always on tour and looked to have fun. Haven't really seen them lately but they did just released a new album not long ago and nothing strange that I notice happened, however I do get more suspicious after Mike decided to do some appearances for other bands despite DT's promo and tour schedule, most notably surely the thing he had with Avenged Sevenfold lately.

With so many intensive musical works aside from his band that also have tons of schedule to fulfill kinda left me thinking a bit is Mike human or what??? That's pretty much tiring thing that he did lately, obviously with those amount of working time here and there, different neighborhood around all his projects, the "bored" is just waiting to happen.

Not blaming anyone as the departure seems to be something that has been discussed and agreed by both parties, however it will be weird seeing Dream Theater without Mike around. I'm looking forward to see how does it goes, to bad this is not April, as I wouldn't make a fuss about it if it was some of that April Mop thing, however this looked real.

I think someday, they will all reunite again somehow especially when Mike finally found that "love" and passion working with Dream Theater again. Until then, quoting the last words from Mike's goodbye letter to the fans... "Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here... But please never let your memory of me disappear... ." (taken from Spirit Carries On)



written by Dewa Nugraha

1 comment:

  1. There is a drummer in Cincinnati.... Jamie Combs.... check him out!!! Use the force! We believe in him! Give him "ONE" chance. TRUST ME!!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2009 Semolo Rock � All rights reserved � Designed by Guitar Legends